ASAP Director, Ted Lambrinides just returned from the Athletic Performance Center in Tampa, Florida and I wanted to track him down and talk "nutrition" before all of the holiday festivities begin. It seems that this is the time of year that a lot of us can venture off course a bit. However, a lot of the goodies that we tend to indulge in during this time of year are on the food pyramid....it's just that they're to be had in moderation. So, enjoy that fudge....cheesecake.... or Krispy Kreme if you must. Just be sure to make the commitment to even harder training. And then, get back on track by taking a serious look at your present diet. For starters, here's list of Ted's suggested complex carbs. Are these foods on your shopping list?
Dr. Ted's TOP FIVE COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATE FOODS
- Whole Grain Breads; whole wheat bread, multi-grain breads, rye and pumpernickel are a few examples.
- Oatmeal: quality calories, packed with good nutrients, heart healthy, and edible in a variety of sources.
- Barley and Rice and Starchy vegetables such as potatoes, butter beans, corn, sweet peas, lima beans and navy beans
- Legumes....dried peas, beans and lentils
- Fruit....especially the skins and edible seeds....and of course, nuts and seeds
All Rights Reserved Copyright 2006 ASAP www.athleticstrengthandpower.com article written by Ed Cicale